The Terra Wasteland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Post Apoclyptic RPG: Other Dust

Go down

New Post Apoclyptic RPG: Other Dust Empty New Post Apoclyptic RPG: Other Dust

Post by nezach Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Hey Folks. I'm a Gamma World gamer since 1st edition but I wanted to mention a new PA game I found last month, Other Dust, by Kevin Crawford, the guy who did Stars Without Number. Unlike Gamma World or Mutant Future it has levels like D&D (You start out with 1 hit dice and then get 2 at second level etc), but otherwise it's a solid game that follows in that vein. There's also a skill system that works a lot like classic Traveller. Mutations are handled a bit different in that you may spend 3 points on either mutation rolls which give you a balance of good and bad, or stay human and get to add 4 points to increase their choice of one attribute bonus by two and two more by one (not the attributes themselves). OK, there's a lot more to it than that, but that's the general idea.

The real cool part about the game for me are the Enclave and Ruin generation charts. With a few rolls you can quickly have a basic settlement size, government, tech level and a general reason why the settlement is there. This is really general stuff. If you are looking for a simulation system that will detail how much food and water the village needs and things like that this isn't going to help you. There is also a random tag generation system that provides you with instant ideas for adventure hooks and NPCs and their motivations.

There's also a lot of other GM tools and charts all of which would come in handy for games like Gamma World and/or Mutant Future. There's also a setting included that uses the tools provided to detail enclaves and ruins that can be used to get gaming proper fast or to be cannibalized for parts. Check it out.
nezach
nezach
Vault Dweller
Vault Dweller

Back to top Go down